Training FAQ

Q: I will be OOO for a session, what can I do?

A: Key resources will be available for download via this blog. Email your strategist and let us know when you’re back in the office so our team can follow up with you on action items.

Q: Who should attend the training sessions?

A: Anyone that is interested in creating content for the website is invited to attend the training sessions.

Q: Should I attend every session?

A: Each session focuses on unique topics and builds upon previous sessions. If you miss a session, please reach out to your strategist.

Q: Will I be able to ask questions during the sessions?

A: Yes, questions can be submitted in the WebEx chat and will be answered during the Q&A portions of the sessions. More complex questions will require email follow-up responses.

Q: What software is being used for the presentation of sessions? How do I join the session?

A: A WebEx link will be sent to all registered participants via email. You can download WebEx for your university computer from the Managed Software. If you are not using a University issued computer you can access WebEx from webex.com. You do not need a WebEx account to use WebEx for these sessions. More training on WebEx is available here.

Q: I didn’t get a WebEx invite, what can I do?

A: Please email your strategist and the link will be sent to you.