Pictured Kristen Fox Student Scholarship Recipient
Thanks to several endowments and the library student employee scholarship fund, CMU Libraries provided scholarships to eight library student employees this year.
According to Janet Danek, coordinator of exhibits, “The scholarships awarded to our library student workers – of course – provide financial support, but they also symbolize the library’s commitment to their success at CMU. That emotional support is an important aspect of the relationships we build with our student workers at the CMU Libraries.” John Fierst, a faculty librarian in the Clarke Historical Library, believes the student employee scholarships are a great idea. “They let our students know that we value them and their education.”
Leah Ryal, one of Danek’s students, was awarded the Gus and Lucille Grozdon family Scholarship this year. “Leah is not just a student worker. She continually makes valuable contributions to the art and historical exhibit program at the libraries. Understanding the power and importance of art will be key in her professional life, so she is regularly challenged to work with the art collection and interpret it for our visitors.”
Haley Schneider, one of Fierst’s students, is working on a degree in Human Resource Management. “Haley brings the skills she is developing in the classroom to her job here in the library. The reference room at the Clarke Historical Library runs smoothly in large part because of her. The scholarship is an incentive that has many benefits for both her and the library.”
Congratulations to the following students!
Helen Holz Rooney Endowed Award
• Mariah Barren, Library Research and Instruction Services
• Natalie Batten, Documents on Demand
• Kiersten Fox, Access Services, who said, “Because of your gift, I can earn my PhD in school psychology.”
Gus and Lucille Grozdon Family Scholarship
• Leah Ryal, Business Services, who said, “Because of your gift, I can pursue my studies in art history and psychology!”
Library Student Employee Scholarship Fund
Graham Govitz, Access Services
• Amanda Meinke, Access Services, who said, “You made a difference in my life. Because of your gift, I can attend CMU for my 2nd year!”
• Reagan Osborn, Documents on Demand, who said, “Because of your gift, I can focus more on studying and less on money problems.”
• Haley Schneider, Clarke Historical Library, who said, “Because of your gift, I can continue to pursue a degree in human resource management.”
Are you interested in supporting the library student employee scholarship fund? Go to CMU’s Giving Form and type in Library Student Employee Scholarship Fund. Your gift will make a difference in the lives of our students!