Student Engagement Win

Student Engagement Win!

Student Engagement Win

Tell us about a moment or two that you’ve experienced online student engagement.

Example: (Anonymous, Faculty)

“In a Panopto recorded lecture that I recently made for one of my classes, I tangentially mentioned that “if we were in class right now, this is when I’d have you all take some time to look up a current local environmental policy and figure out what it’s all about. Again, usually, we’d do this in class… but if you want, I guess you can do it on your own. If you do, though send me an email and tell me about it.” It was unplanned and no points were attached to it. It was really just me dialoging (and if I am being honest, lamenting/whining to myself about our current circumstance); I really didn’t anticipate that any students would actually do it. You know what- they surprised me, and a few did! I got a couple emails over the next few days (as students were watching the videos) and for no “credit”, in the midst of this hectic transition when they have all of these other important things to do, those students chose to engage with the content in a real-world way, and also to tell me about it. This reminded me of why we are here- why we are doing all this in the first place. It was both motivating and humbling.”

This post is part of our What’s Working Forum, a safe space for faculty to talk to one another about how we are still serving our students and the CMU community, and to share and celebrate what we are doing during this era of learning continuity.  We invite you to participate in the discussion in the comments below. Use your Name/CMU Email or keep it anonymous, it is totally up to you. While you aren’t able to copy pictures into the comments field, feel free to show us what you are doing by linking out to hosted photos or content elsewhere.  If you have a question, concern, or another topic idea, please contact us.