Cade’s Blog

Authored By:  Logan Steffke (M3, Class of 2021)

When I first started my medical school journey    two years ago, I was worried about several things. One of them was my dog, Cade.

Cade is a three-year-old golden retriever who has been with me since he was about six weeks old. To be brief, he is my best friend and has been by my side through things a lot of people wouldn’t stick around for. I was worried that medical school would force him into a life of boredom and loneliness, which is not what I wanted for him. Thankfully, the past two years have shown me just how lucky I am to have Cade in my life.

On most days, like any med student you will talk to, our days start early with me getting ready for class and Cade stealing my spot in the bed the second I get up. I get ready for the day while he snoozes a little longer. Before I leave for class, we take a quick walk around the yard, somedays quicker than others, so he can have a little time outside before I leave for a few hours. While I always hate leaving him, I don’t think he minds too terribly since he spends about 18 hours a day sleeping. A trick I learned from the vet is to give him a treat or kong full of peanut butter to entertain himself. Giving your dog something exciting when you leave helps them not to associate your leaving with negativity, but with something positive instead.

After I’ve finished our 4-6 hour day of classes I usually head home right after to take Cade out and spend a little time together. One of Cade’s favorite things to do is play at Hannah’s Bark Park, a local dog park that we live close to. I try to take him to the dog park at least two or three times per week. It’s a great chance for us to play together, for him to socialize with other dogs, and a really nice study break for me! Days when I’m really crunched for time I’ll use my phone to squeeze some studying in while I’m at the park, but this rarely happens.

At the end of a long day, in the life of a med student, there is always still studying to be done. Lucky for me, Cade just so happens to be one of the best study buddies out there. He’s never too loud, he’s always willing to listen when you just can’t understand something, and he’s always willing to lay by your side for late night studying.

I truly don’t know how I would have survived the first two years of medical school without Cade. Coming home to a wagging tail and a dog that loves you unconditionally is the most amazing feeling, especially after a tough day.

However, taking care of a dog is still work. He requires attention, time to be taken outside, exercise, vet care, grooming and many other things. For me, I wouldn’t have it any other way, but I also have my family in the area who love Cade as much as I do and are always willing to help take care of him when I need. Having a dog in medical school is by no means for everyone, but to me he’s everything.

“Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made.” -Roger Caras, A Celebration of Dogs