If you haven’t been inside the Park Library since early March 2020, you will notice many changes on your next visit. CMU Libraries is following guidelines established by CMU, the State of Michigan, and the CDC to create a safe environment for our users and employees. Library users are expected to follow all university and library policies and procedures.
- Fired Up for Fall
- Face masks/coverings are required at all times inside CMU buildings.
- Students and employees are to submit their self-screening form before coming to CMU properties.
- State of Michigan Executive order 2020-161, item 6, limits the number of people using library spaces to 4 people per 1,000 square feet in spaces larger than 50,000 square feet and 25% maximum capacity for spaces 50,000 square feet or less.
Navigating the building
- Please check our online calendars for hours of operation. Current hours differ from past semesters.
- Follow directional signs when entering doors, waiting in lines, using staircases and elevators, and moving through public areas.
- When areas of the building reach maximum capacity, we will post signs directing users to other spaces.
- Physical collections are closed.
- Return library books at one of three 1st floor book returns. The book return at the Checkout Desk is closed.
- Fewer computers are available.
- To visit the Clarke Historical Library’s exhibit or reading room, please make an appointment.
- Events are cancelled for the foreseeable future. We are not accepting reservations for any of our event spaces or meeting rooms.
- If you wish to visit an academic support center, please contact them in advance to learn what their hours are, whether they require an appointment, and if they are offering online support. This includes the Writing Center, Math Assistance Center, Certified Testing Center, Student Disability Services, and the Statistical Consulting Center.
Studying at the library
To maintain physical distancing requirements of 6 or more feet between people, users are to:
- Study individually.
- Wear a personal face covering at all times.
- Clean work surfaces before and after use. Cleaning products are available on all floors at designated locations.
- Sit one person per table or one person per designated carrel.
- Not move chairs or tables.
- Not use the area designated for vulnerable populations during the days and times posted unless you are a member of a vulnerable population.
Specific study areas
- The 1 North after-hours study room and the 1st floor Quiet Study Area will have longer hours than the main library building.
- Faculty and doctoral students may request an Individual Research Room. If your request is approved, we will check out your key for the whole semester rather than each time you visit.
Group study is not permitted
- Group study rooms are locked and unavailable.
- We recommend you meet online using Webex, Teams, or Zoom.
- You may participate in online meetings in the Copeland Suite, 3 East, or on the north or south side of the atrium on upper floors. Please wear headphones or ear buds and use your inside voice.
Need a space where you can take an online exam or attend class virtually?
- See the list of quiet classrooms on campus where you can virtually attend your classes or take an online exam.
Our service desks are open to answer questions during regular building hours, and we encourage you to use our virtual services
- Research consultations
- Library instruction
- Course Reserves
- Documents on Demand
- Contact a specific library department by phone or email a specific person
Accommodations for vulnerable populations
- In compliance with the State of Michigan Executive order 2020-161, item 6, we have designated the 1st floor Quiet Study space on Fridays from 7:30 to 9:30 a.m. as an exclusive space for users from vulnerable populations.
- For assistance, use one of our virtual library services listed above.
- To access physical collections, use our contactless pickup service. For students and faculty who live outside Mount Pleasant, request mail delivery or a scan of a book chapter.
Community members are welcome to visit the Park Library!
When you do so, you have a personal responsibility to:
- Be able to answer NO to the following questions. If you answer YES to any of these questions, do not enter the Park Library.
- Have you had close contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid-19 in the past 14 days?
- Are you currently experiencing any of the following symptoms not due to an underlying medical condition:
- Shortness of breath
- Or any other symptom(s) related to COVID-19
- Wear a personal face covering at all times.
- Stay at least 6 feet away from others.
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Practice proper cough/sneeze etiquette, proper tissue usage and disposal.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Respect employees and other library users.
We encourage you to use our contactless pickup service to access our book collection. Users will not be able to browse or retrieve materials from our physical collections. If you wish to checkout a book, please read our blog post about accessing our collections or call the Checkout desk at 989-774-3114.